What is a capsule wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of essential, timeless pieces that can be worn in multiple ways and easily mixed and matched. This type of wardrobe typically consists of around 30 pieces of clothing including tops, bottoms, dresses, and outerwear that are versatile and classic, allowing you to create a variety of looks without needing to purchase a lot of items. By having a capsule wardrobe, you can save time and money while still looking your best!
- Start by choosing your favorite style of jeans or working with what styles you know will look best on you. I personally love to rock my boyfriend and mom jeans because they have a looser fit and I feel like they balance out my proportions really well. Other styles to choose from would be skinny, straight, flare, bootcut, etc.
- While you can get away with having one pair of jeans in your favorite style I like to make sure that I have a light wash, medium wash, and a dark wash in that style so that I can wear them with multiple outfits.
- Be sure to have a balance of distressed and non-distressed jeans. Distressed jeans are stylish cute and casual but don't always work for professional settings, while non-distressed looks can give your outfit a more put-together feel that's perfect for the office.
- Finally don't forget your black jeans. Black jeans are a closet staple that will look great no matter what cut you choose to wear them in. With more distressing, they will have an edgier feel to them while a solid pair can easily be dressed up.
- Be sure to check out the denim selection from Ivy Reina. We carry my great styles and brands that have amazing stretch so you know you're going to the best fit. Not sure where to start, select a denim fix and the Ivy Reina team will start you off with a pair of our favorites to help get you started.
- Your classic t-shirt collection will help you create a great base for your outfits. Start with a solid white and a solid black so that they can mix and match with most things in your closet.
- When it comes to the styles for your T-shirt try getting one of each in a v-neck, crewneck, turtleneck, tank top, and cami. Having these in black and white will give you plenty of options for layering in the cooler season or wearing them on their own when it's warmer. For more put-together outfits don't be afraid to try out a bodysuit or play around with different ways of tucking in your shirt.
- For some added fun try adding a graphic tee to the mix.
- The Ivy Reina team has taken the time to put together a basics collection with a variety of t-shirts and bodysuits that are perfect for building you capsule wardrobe.
- You can never go wrong with a little black dress. Grab one in a few different styles and lengths so that no matter the season or occasion you'll always have one that's perfect for your outing. I personally like fitted dresses so I make sure to have one that is sleeveless, short sleeve, and long sleeve, as well as, a maxi, midi, and mini. I like the fitted silhouette because I can easily layer on top or underneath to create different looks.
- We've made our black dresses with an entire collection dedicated to just black dresses.
- If you're just starting out with your blazer collection I suggest trying out an oversized black or neutral-tone blazer first. These are going to be the easiest colors to match and with it being oversized will be easy to dress up or down.
- You can easily style your oversized blazer with a button-down and slacks for a cute work outfit, a graphic tee and mini skirt for an edgy date night look, or over a maxi dress for an off-duty model look for your daily outings.
- We're always getting new blazers at Ivy Reina so be sure to check out what the latest styles in our blazer collection.
- A neutral cardigan is my go-to piece for my fall looks. you can wear them over essentially anything and they're super cozy. Perfect for the office or just stepping out of the house.
- In the summer substitute that cardigan for a lace coverup for the same effortlessly chic look to wear with your shorts and bralette or summer loungewear.
- The perfect button-down is the one that you're most comfortable in. I personally prefer oversized white button-downs so that I can wear the buttoned and tucked for work or open over a tank for a more casual outfit. However, if you prefer to layer over your button-downs try going for a more fitted top to easily pair with cardigans and blazers.
- You literally can't go wrong with a pair of black or nude heels and I'd suggest getting them in multiple styles so that you always have a pair that will go with your outfits. Think strappy heels for your dresses and pumps for your pants.
- Flats have always been my go-to shoes for work simply because of comfort. With the right style of flats, you can still look just as chic as you would wear a pair of heels.
- We're always expanding our shoe collection and we've recently added more flats to help you find just what you need for work.
- We've been the queens of booties this fall and winter. This style is so versatile because there are so many different styles that are perfect for any occasion. I personally suggest starting with a black pair and a brown pair for easy styling.
- Scarves can be worn in many different ways depending on the look you're trying to achieve. A nice thick knit scarf is perfect for keeping warm in the winter or adding a winter feel to an outfit by wearing it under the collar of a jacket. While a printed satin scarf can easily be worn around the neck or head for a super posh look.
- Simple gold chains can easily be paired with any outfit for an elegant look.
- Hoop earrings in various sizes are a must so that you can have the appropriate size for whatever the occasion.
- A simple bag that you can wear with any outfit
A capsule wardrobe is an important way to maximize your wardrobe choices while minimizing the number of items you own. It is a great way to save money, time, and space. With a capsule wardrobe, you can create multiple looks with just a few pieces, allowing you to make the most of your wardrobe. It also encourages you to be more mindful of the pieces you purchase and helps you to create a wardrobe that reflects your style and personality. The goal is to find pieces that you can easily mix and match so that you never feel like you don't have anything to wear. Need help getting started? Try our monthly Queen's choice box and we will send you a few buildable pieces that are perfect for starting your capsule collection without you needing to think about what to add. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to the Ivy Reina Team we're always happy to help you find exactly what you need.